Should Agoric (BLD) pursue listing on a major CEX?

Hi Agoric community,

I’ve been thinking about the current state of BLD liquidity and accessibility. Right now BLD is mainly available on an only CEX (Gate) with relatively low volume.

Would it make sense for the community / Agoric OpCo / foundation to prioritize getting BLD listed on a bigger centralized exchange (e.g. Binance, Coinbase, Bybit, OKX, Kraken, etc.)?

Pros I see:

  • Much higher visibility and easier onboarding for new users
  • Better liquidity and tighter spreads
  • Potential price discovery and increased market interest

Cons / questions:

  • High listing costs and ongoing market-making requirements
  • Regulatory hurdles (especially for U.S. exchanges)
  • Dilution of focus away from product/tech development
  • Whether the project currently meets the listing criteria of top exchanges

Has there been any previous discussion or outreach about major CEX listings?
What are the realistic requirements and costs?
Is this something the community should actively push for (or fund via community proposals)?

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts — especially from people who have experience with exchange listings or insights into Agoric’s current priorities.

1 Like

This was spoken about at some length a while back with Ric and Dean in a community video chat.

I think the guts of it was - The CEX wanted a large percentage of the tokens. The exact number I don’t recall, but it was a lot!

It is worth discussing again in case something has changed on that front. With two big conventions coming up and some impressive developments in ymax, it may bring more interest, and investors may want to get in if access to tokens is simpler.

2 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for this proposal!

For the moment, even if the market in general pump a little, I don’t think it’s the right timing to get Agoric on important CEX.

It is also true that Agoric suffers from significant liquidity. As it is also true, that Agoric has evolved well and should, in my opinion, be better known. Registering it on important CEX could give it more visibility.

I’d like to hear from @Iulia_Mihailescu and @dtribble

1 Like

What’s about other project which listed on many exchanges? They faced that too. They even didn’t have an ICO to get funds.

Nearly 8 years, and there’s still no right timing? I think this is the perfect timing.

You may be right.

But I’d like to hear from the team

2 Likes

I am fully satisfied to have only gate.io. i buy there and don’t need other exchanges to buy or sell BLD. And i believe that native, not speculative, demand on BLD from Ymax will bring liquidity and right price by BME mechanism.

2 Likes

As a few people have pointed out, we have discussed this in depth sporadically over the last few years.

The number one barrier is the cost of listing. It’s entirely prohibitive, as they are asking for a significant number of tokens to list.

You’re right that many projects have found themselves listed on top-tier exchanges, and the main reason is that they had tokens to spare.

About one and a half years ago, DCF spearheaded pretty intense due diligence with a tier one exchange, with the hope of getting BLD listed. The limitations were too unsurmountable.

We love your enthusiasm and assure you that we all have the same hope in mind.

3 Likes

I understand that a Tier 1 listing may not make sense right now if the cost is prohibitive. But is there still a long-term plan to get there, or has that idea effectively been put on hold indefinitely?

I imagine the path would look something like:

product traction → deeper liquidity → marketing → additional exchange listings → more visibility and volume → eventually a Tier 1 listing.

Is that roughly how DCF sees the progression for BLD, assuming YMax and the wider ecosystem continue to grow?

1 Like

It’s only for you. US and European don’t use that CEX. And what if gate delist it? There’re no other CEX for you to choose.